World Glaucoma Week 2012 | Philippine Glaucoma Week 2012

This year’s World Glaucoma Week 2012 | Philippine Glaucoma Week 2012 will be celebrated between March 12-16, 2012.

The Philippine Glaucoma Society already launched the Glaucoma Week 2012 on March 7, 2012 in Makati Shangri-La Hotel which was headed by the Philippine Glaucoma Society president Dr. Maria Imelda Yap-Veloso.

Glaucoma is thought to be the primary reason for preventable loss of vision and in fact, statistics show that over 60.5-million people around the world suffer from the disease, of which 8.5 million of them are already blind in both eyes“, Philippine Glaucoma Society president Dr. Maria Imelda Yap-Veloso said.

–oOo–

Facts about Glaucoma

Glaucoma is a group eye diseases that causes damage to the optic nerve and eventually loss of proper vision. Optic nerve is the nerve responsible for transmitting visual images to the brain which is mostly affected by the increase in intraocular pressure of the pressure in the eye.

There are three types of Glaucoma; the (1) Open-Angle Glaucoma, (2) Angle Closure Glaucoma and (3) Congenital Glaucoma.

(1) Open-Angle Glaucoma has almost always no symptoms, or people suffering from this type do not always feel any symptoms. However, if there’s impairment of vision already, it is most likely, the damage is severe.

(2) Angle Closure Glaucoma has in intermittent or an on and off symptoms. A person might just suddenly feel a sudden and severe pain of the eye. One symptom of this type of glaucoma is patient claims of cloudy vision. Other symptoms include redness of the eyes, the patient may suffer nausea and vomiting and there is presence of rainbow-like halos around lights.

(3) Congenital Glaucoma is first seen and diagnosed during childhood. Usually symptoms show up in as early as few months after birth. There is cloudiness and abnormal enlargement of the eye of the child. The child will also be sensitive to light and always tearing.

Congenital Glaucoma

Congenital Glaucoma

Treatments for Glaucoma depend on its type. Eye drops are usually given to Open-Angle Glaucoma. Other treatments include iridotomy or laser therapy. But for severe cases, eye surgery is advised. For Angle-closure Glaucoma, an eye drops that lower intraocular pressure are given. While Congenital Glaucoma, it is always treated through eye surgery.

12 Responses to World Glaucoma Week 2012 | Philippine Glaucoma Week 2012

1. Pinx says:

Let’s hope that the incidence of glaucoma won’t increase that fast. It is really important to take care of our eyes, the windows to our soul.

2. Oh gosh. These facts are eye-opening (no pun intended). I hope no one in my family has this. Thanks for sharing.

3. Rossel says:

I know how hard it is to have impaired vision. My husband met an accident when he was 6y/o that caused blindness to his right eye…it’s all because of an irresponsible gun owner. I’m thankful that it didn’t affect him emotionally and psychologically. Thanks again for this informative post.

4. Blanca says:

Thanks for sharing this, the pressure in my left eye tends to increase. I am being observe yearly bec. my doctor is afraid that I might develop glaucoma. The info you shared here made me understand this more.:)

5. Matsumoto says:

I think it’s important to have the eyes checked often, no? I mean the eyes tend to be the most overused lalo na when online at gabi na ehehe (speaking of myself here). Thanks for the info!

6. Stef says:

Thank you for all these info, definitely of great help.

7. Herbert says:

basta related sa mata hindi dapat ipagwalang bahala, mahirap mamuhay kung bulag tayo :( TY dito Gagay

8. Well I always take care of my eyes. Thank God malinaw na malinaw pa mata ko.

9. Karen says:

Taking care of our eyes is a preventive measure. Mahal pa naman magpagamot ngayon.

10. Stacy says:

the possibilities actually scares me

11. Sumi says:

I’m visually impaired so this is really scary for me, especially since I haven’t had my eyes checked for a while already. Anyway, thanks for sharing this. I hope more people will become aware about glaucoma.

12. Shengkayful says:

Isa sa pinakakatakutan ko na mangyari sa akin o sa family member ko.. sense of sight is for me one of the very important sense..
    Sana hindi na tumaaas pa..